Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 25-06-2009, 10:40 PM   #1
andy1
Hatched

Default indian star incubation

Any tips from people who have succsefully incubated and hatched stars,

females 1 and 2 have laid previously, female 2 second clutch is in the incubator, they definetly started to develop but not sure if they have stopped as there appears little change , its been approx 90 days at 31c.I will wait and see as times are reported to be up to 150days.

Female 3 was pacing tonight and started to attemp to nest, this is her first attempt.

Just wondering on how others have had succsess, ie humidity, eggs in covered or uncovered boxes. dry vermiculite but high air humidity etc ???

Thanks Andy
andy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 10:38 PM   #2
NATURALIS
Adult

here is a bit on the tortoise trust, quote, 29/31c incubating temp,hatch 90/120 days, humidity, well it says the female looks for a place thats neither dry or to wet so by that i would think about 60/70% humidity should be about there. I dont think its a good idea to cover the eggs.
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
andy1
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by red foot marg View Post
here is a bit on the tortoise trust, quote, 29/31c incubating temp,hatch 90/120 days, humidity, well it says the female looks for a place thats neither dry or to wet so by that i would think about 60/70% humidity should be about there. I dont think its a good idea to cover the eggs.
Thanks , first female 1st clutch i tried covering but in truth the female had struggled to find somewhere she was happy laying, esp as it was her first clutch, so they were infertile.

Second females first clutch was uncovered on just moist(but not wet) vermiculite, but alas still infertile.

First female second clutch , vermiculite Dry side of moist, but this time included water containers in each tub, and 1 main water saucer in incubator so air humidity stays between 70-80% , at 38 days saw first signs of viens. But now really not sure whether they have stopped developing . Obviously will wait out the full term but eager to hear from people who have done it. If i get chance tonight i will take a photo of eggs and post.

This set up has so far proved succesfull as a second hermanns baby pipped today, And fertility is seen in 3 other hermanns clutches.

Andy
Old 10-07-2009, 12:13 AM   #4
andy1
Hatched

Thumbs up

I checked the incubator this morning for hermanns babies as I've had 4 since sat, but to my surprise didn't find any, but what I did find was 2 star eggs had pipped, I was very surprised ,. I will post some pics when my internet is back on next week at home.
106days I also believe a 3rd egg is iminent aswell with 1 egg discoloured which did start to develop but then stopped.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Thats brilliant news. Please post some pictures

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Excellent news

Danny
Old 10-07-2009, 01:16 PM   #7
tortoise_dude
Hatched

wow. Well done
tortoise_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:07 PM   #8
piglet
Adult

I Have hatched a fair few stars out out over he last few years . Incubated at 29.5 -30 c with a humidity of 70%, laid eggs slightly buried in dry vermiculite with a gentle spray of tepid water every other day, Incubation periods varied within clutches from 90 days ( this was a single egg) to 172 days but generally most hatched at 125 days , I found there was a lapse in viewable development around the halfway to two thirds mark. I found them easy to breed and hatch not really any problems but have encountered some shell and eye deformities when using higher incubation temps over 30c. Good luck also Im made up for you D

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:13 PM   #9
andy1
Hatched

thanks everybody , this has really put a smile on my face.http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...on_biggrin.gif

My first female i bought laid a clutch of 4 last weekend, see pic below of eggs beginning to chalk up.

Then i just went out to take a pic of the parents and found my biggist female nesting in her greenhouse.

Anyway heres some pics as promised.

Can you see the extra scute on the one to the right?

Last edited by andy1; 11-07-2009 at 07:20 PM.