View Single Post
Old 31-08-2018, 08:54 PM   #5
CherryBrandy
Adult

Charles, hibernating is so much easier than keeping them up also. Rule of thumb is pack them away first week of November if weather follows a natural pattern ie getting colder and tortoise is well hydrated and slowing, all food gone from system, good weight no signs of illness - if worried just let them sleep for 7 - 8 weeks instead of the winter. When they are outdoors this is easier because they will know themselves. My Horsfields have stopped eating this week...then they will stop coming out and then they burrow and stop moving and that's it ! they hibernate naturally but I wont see my male spur now until March. He always goes down end of August, but I leave him til November to pack him away. If you keep him up then perhaps consider newspaper. I know this is not ideal for a number of reasons but it isn't dangerous and for such a period won't harm the tortoise if the husbandry is good. Coco coir is just as dusty as soil, much less so but I had an attack once when I was changing it. It also settles everywhere but I still use it carefully and mist daily....watch out for any types of spores though growing in soil and dust - most colds , viruses , infections can come from building works etc, which is why hospitals always close all their windows with any type of brick /soil/ concrete dust....CB