View Single Post
Old 28-08-2018, 06:25 PM   #4
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles S View Post
Thanks for the reply Sandy,

I have been misting the soil in the past, although I can only do that in the morning and afternoon, I think the issue is that I use an electric heater in the shed and the soil dries out in around 15 mins, even quicker under the heat lamp.

She's a Hermann, I've never hibernated her before and honestly haven't considered it, it's a tad scary, she's around 8 years old, so she's used to staying awake for the whole year I presume, would you suggest hibernating her? Or is it a bit late in the day to start?

Thanks
Do you actually need the heater as well as the heat lamp?
An insulated shed will hold quite a lot of heat:0)
Keeping a record of the heat in the shed might well help:0)
Hibernation sounds like the way to go, its only scary if you dont follow the correct instructions. I have hibernated my tortoises for over 36yrs and never lost one yet:0)
Its never to late to hibernate a tortoise. You just have to follow the weather:0) Usually the end of September or beginning of October is when to start. It does depend on the weather and where you live.
My tortoises live outside in the greenhouse all year round. They also bury themselves down in the GH soil to hibernate:0) I do live in the SE which helps.
My tortoises have already started to slow down, I have now put the heat on for just the morning so they warm up and get around. And helps digest the food in their systems. I now slow down on their feeding. They come and go as they please up until we get frosts. Then I shut them in the GH, and gradually wind them down for hibernation.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote