View Single Post
Old 28-08-2018, 02:50 PM   #1
Charles S
Egg

Question Solutions to dust and housing ideas

Hi all been a while since i’ve posted on here,

So the weather has started to take a turn for the worse in the UK and I think it’s getting about time to bring the shelled one indoors, only issue is that the shed I was keeping her table in (Its fully insulated and heated) has been converted into my office for my new business. I know from having used it as a study room in the past that the dust from the topsoil substrate I am using is totally unbearable, add in my mild asthma and you have a picture of me trying to revise whilst wearing a dust mask! Its really a major issue, I need the space to work as an office but I dont really have anywhere else to house the tort. I have considered placing a modular perspex cover over here table, but I am worried of the changes in humidity this could cause, as we all know open top is best, but considering how large the table is and that i’d build up the sides to increase the air volume even more....it may be ok? What are your thoughts on it?

I’m also thinking of adding a coldframe to her outdoor enclosure to try and extend the amount of time she can spend outdoors, maybe even putting a basking light and a tube heater in there, what temp do you think she’d be ok to stay out in with that kind of setup?

The only other option I have is the garage, sadly its completely uninsulated and freezing in the winter, the main issue is that is has 0 windows so she’d be completely void of any natural light, which is an idea I don’t like, at least in the shed she’s directly under a window.

Any advice/ideas would be great, i’m really unsure what to do one this issue...also if anyone has an alternative (but equally suitable) substrate to 100% topsoil im all ears, i’ve heard mixed opinions on coco coir, if anyone has experience with using it and the amount of dust it produces that’d be great to hear.

Thanks all, looking forward to your replies!
Charles
Charles S is offline   Reply With Quote