View Single Post
Old 07-10-2022, 12:06 PM   #6
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by TessaRuth View Post
Hello and thank you. I have increased both heat and light as you suggested. One tort is now feeding well again but the other is refusing food. However, she is bright and very active. Should I just let her go on like this with a December hibernation in mind? thank you for your help. Tessa.
You have to let them decide, sounds like one is already wanting to hibernate, so lessen the amount of food given to both. December is quite late, I would think more like late November. A lot depends on the weather, they know temps outside are much cooler, and the days are getting shorter. So think about keeping temps to the daylight outside rather than a set time. And dont panic about tortoises hibernating for longer than 12 weeks, mine bury down naturally outside in my GH soil, and have done for over 20yrs. And each year is different, one female is always the first to go down, and could be as early as mid October or late November. And only come up when the ground outside warms up. So can be 10 weeks to four months. Never the same each year. I hope this helps:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote