View Single Post
Old 16-11-2008, 08:52 AM   #17
Geomyda
Adult

Thanks!
You know that the the comments made by EJ, in respect of this particular thread might indicate that he did not even look at the Video link?
Whilst the filming was of poor quality, obviously having to be shot in a clandestine manner. It clearly showed an example of a very large Soft shell Turtle- Which is definitely not a Chinese Softshell (Pelodiscus sinensis). Too large!! This is almost certainly a Wild caught specimen, and possibly an import from the USA?
Furthermore, the animals shown being off loaded from the lorry were packed in ice, again, from what we are told by Tesco a practice which they have banned?- I am not suggesting, that this video sequence was from their supply chain, but it highlights very graphically that wild caught animals are mixed up with the Farmed turtles. The trade is full of very dubious and I have no doubt, illegal elements, which is what the recent post from Traffic is demonstrating.
Again, on animal welfare issues, we are told that a humane method of dispatching the turtles, which have "not previously been put on ice", is employed by the Supermarket. They decapitate the live Turtle. Why then, on their own chilled counters, do we see carcasses of Chinese softshell turtles, with head still in situ?
I agree that perhaps we in the UK are guilty of the "Tut, tut" approach to news, but in large part, this subject has not reached the national media for fear that it may impact adversely on advertising revenue from an organisation that that dominates the retail trade?
The Chicken debate earlier this year did try to raise the bar, and it is true that Hugh Fearnley- Whittingstall, failed in his campaign to get the mighty Tesco to fall in line, but no doubt, many other retail organisations are now far more sensitive to this issue, and despite the dreadful economic climate, are seeing a marked increase in ethically sourced Chicken products. What he has done, along with Jamie Oliver has championed change, in a subject that very few people had even thought about a year ago!!
Perhaps, what we need is a media champion for the Turtle trade. Do you know any?
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote