Thread: New to torts
View Single Post
Old 27-07-2010, 11:14 PM   #4
emma_mcraf
Adult

Thanks for your confirmation that I seem to be doing things correctly. I have also noted that there'll be shelter in the outdoor enclosure for Theo and some hiding places in plant pots, etc.
If we have heavy rain and the substrate gets wet, it's still fine for Theo to go out in it then? I wasn't sure as I've read Mediterranean tortoises shouldn't be allowed to get damp underneath. I'll make sure we have drainage holes in the enclosure so water can't build up.
I've added Nutrobal to my shopping list, thank you, and I will be a regular visitor to the site so will let you know how Theo gets on. I think he's been kept outside on grass before, so hopefully he'll approve of his new home!

My other question is whether he'd have been chipped and if it's okay for him to be given to us as a gift without us registering him ourselves. I think the lady owner before our family friend just gave Theo to him, so any registrations would be out of date and he'd have passed ownership a couple of times. I have no idea if that lady was the original owner either as she has passed away. I just want to ensure everything is above board.

I've read that it's almost impossible to age a tortoise so we've no idea how old he is, though I don't presume that to be a problem.

Anyway, thanks for replying!
emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote