Thread: Armadillos
View Single Post
Old 15-07-2007, 08:19 PM   #21
piglet
Adult

Tortoiseguy I have helped out alot with the breeding of these animals over the few years I have kept them and studied them at great length learning many new things to help propagate this unique animal in captivity some are sent to european collections to introduce new blood to a very small genteic pool.
The female offspring I have are spoken for one will be hopefully joining a UK male (unrelated to her) and the second probably staying here to replace her mother who is possible elderly now and barron from breeding as she hasn't taken the last two matings , they do have a long life span 27yrs recorded but sexual activity reproduction wise is short usually up to 10yrs of age in captive animals from the few records of 3 bandeds bred in the states, the first 3 banded bred in captivity in europein 2000 was in a polish zoo called Poznan who have a good record of breeding various dillo species.

Males are surplus at the moment in the breeding programme as so few females are available for them to pair too and when i have them available they are sold onto selected pet homes or if required passed on to zoo collections until a female of unrelated genes is available to pair with him ,

D
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote