Thread: closed chambers
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2015, 06:52 AM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikki View Post
I have been reading a lot on an international (but mainly American) forum about closed chambers, these generally appear to be similar to vivariums but are kept very humid and seem to mainly be used for young tortoises in the belief that it produces smoother growth. Anyone with any thoughts etc? There is also somebody doing an experiment at not using heat lamps but instead using lights/uv and heat panels - in view of the increasing awareness of the dehydrating effects of heat lamps it could be interesting to see results. I realise that as much time outdoors is always best but wondered what others views of these sort of methods are?
The Americans have a much different approach to tortoise keeping than we do (although they say they don't) a lot of them are collectors rather than keepers.
Viva can be used for certain Chelonia, but on the whole most here would not use them. I for one like too keep my tortoises as much like the wild as possible. Usually in the wild Chelonia have different temperatures through out the day, which in most viva this is impossible, and good air circulation is near impossible.
I can grow smooth tortoises my way. I keep small and adults the same way.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote