View Single Post
Old 28-11-2023, 03:36 PM   #16
Yvonne G
Hatched

I was beginning to wonder if our UK forum was going extinct. I used to check in every day, but so many days went by with no activity I gradually stopped coming. I hate to lose you guys. I love reading about tortoise-keeping in your neck-o-the-woods.

I was a bit late looking for my russians, so they're all dug in to brumate someplace out in their yard. I can't find them. I hope they make it through the winter ok. I have two really big females I'd hate to lose.

I've got the Texas tortoises (Gopherus berlandieri) all boxed up and safely put away for the winter. Still have to go find the desert tortoise and box her up, but I know right where she is.

I've been having trouble keeping up with all the care these animals require, so I've been thinning down. I'm in partnership with the tortoises with a fellow down in San Diego and he's taking everything that's too much for me to handle. So far all the leopards have been sold and a couple weeks ago he took the Manouria emys emys and radiata. Next week or so he'll come up and get the Manouria emys phayrei and the two radiata hatchlings. He also has a bunch of supplies he's going to take.

That leaves me with the four species that brumate (Texas, russian, desert and box turtles), plus the yellowfoot tortoises and a three year old Manouria emys emys that hatched out with no eyes. I've already noticed a BIG decrease in the amount I spend for tortoise food, and it only takes me a few minutes in the a.m. and evening to tend to the animals I have left. I guess that means that I now have time for housework. WHAT?????