Thread: Advice needed
View Single Post
Old 19-10-2018, 08:53 PM   #11
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
Glad my guess on breed was accurate at least!

Right, so here is the plan...tomorrow, when it's colder, I'm going to carefully move him, without waking him if possible, to a different container. I have a large, solid, cardboard box with straw in it - though I could fill with topsoil, or I could get a something different???

I can move the box outside, to a cupboard near the house, insulate and hope for the best. Or I can put him in an unheated room for the time-being. Or, I can order a mini fridge for him and set at 5 degrees.

Are all options acceptable? Would one be preferable?

Gonna miss the fella for the next 5 or so months

If you are going to use a fridge then it needs to be monitored to make sure the temps do not drop below 5c. And it does not have a freezer compartment. As fridges do vary a lot.

If the box be moved outside it needs to be well and truly insulated against low temps. Using a themometer inside does help. And soil is better than straw or hay, as he can bury down into it.

I used to box my tortoises up, and keep them in the garage, which was attached to the house, and had a small area at the back which I could monitor the temps regularly.

Wherever you choose it has to maintain a temp of 5c. If it went up two degrees for one day, its not a problem. But a constant temp of 5c is the way to go.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote