View Single Post
Old 14-03-2016, 01:24 PM   #30
Hanako
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
So breeding two thh together when you don't know exactly where they come from to me is wrong all you are doing is adding tortoises to the market because you seem to think it's ok to breed two tortoises together to get babies from to sell.
Just wanted to clarify, I didn't start breeding to get babies to sell. In fact, if you look through this forum, you may find the thread where I was shocked that a female laid the eggs; I didn't expect it so I didn't have anything ready.

Yes, I do think that it is ok to breed two tortoises from a different locality. I don't think it is ok to crossbreed between species and subspecies, but from the reasons I wrote in my previous post I can't see anything wrong between breeding between different localities. It's a matter of personal opinion and not everyone's opinion may be the same as yours.

I am definitely not breeding the tortoises for the money. If you notice, I am selling them at much lower price than it would be from other breeders or from the shop. The reason is because I want to have a control to whom I sell them. If I was breeding them for money, I wouldn't sell THH baby for £130, I would sell it for £160-170, which is the current price between the breeders in the UK and in the shop. The reason I sell them is because my girls are breeding and I can't keep them all. I have already doubled the amount of tortoises I wanted to have, and as more eggs are being laid, I can either get another house and move all the tortoises there, or I will have to say goodbye to some of them. Quite honestly, I wish they wouldn't be breeding. But I don't have the heart not to incubate the eggs if they have already laid them. They make such an effort and I should bin in? I can't do that! But it is a bit offensive when you suggest that I am breeding them for the money. Are you selling yours for £130?
Hanako is offline   Reply With Quote