Thread: Coco soil
View Single Post
Old 22-03-2019, 10:30 PM   #5
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
My Horsfield girls love the shingle, like beach shingle - it's easily drainable and they will burrow all the way down until you can't see them. I did use soil and a sand mixed with soil many years ago but it got so damp and horrid , grew fungus on it also. Shingle is so easy to replace too and the sun warms it up.
My little ones indoors have coco coir. I admit I don't like the long hairy bits but I pick them all out and use them for growing seeds. it does get very dusty too. luckily they are only on it for a few months if they over winter.
At this time of year my spurs are up and under cover and I use newspaper for the underneath shredded ontop so they can burrow down if want to. All their nighttime lamps are on tonight and they are all at the end of their tables in the cold end so I will be turning them off soon, CB
Do you find your spurs eat the newspaper, Clare?
When we moved house I had the torts on newspaper in their tables for about 2 weeks whilst their indoor tort room was being created and their outdoor enclosures too. It wasn’t ideal but it was the best I could manage for a short term fix. They had a field day with the paper, ripping it, burying themselves under it, eating it...
We had newspaper pellets for poo for weeks!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote