Thread: Think about it.
View Single Post
Old 29-05-2016, 07:23 PM   #124
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellanne View Post
What this thread is showing me is that no matter what keepers are advised are the best things to feed, there will always be some that can give conflicting opinions because of their results.
I must admit I look at the Tortoisetable plant base a lot and go by what they say mostly though I do take in board what others say on this forum so go 'off pist' now and again just to see what happens.
For example....on another forum (which I no longer frequent because of a severe difference of opinion) it was claimed that buttercups...leaf and flower ......was ok, in fact this particular persons tortoises could devour a whole lawn of the stuff without any problems. The tortoisetable says there are loads of toxins in this plant and tortoises have been known to die after eating...........is this a risk anyone is prepared to take x x x xhugs x x x

The buttercup thing is an odd one. It seems some tortoises can eat them with no ill affect. But they are not good for tortoises in general.
I had a male that if he found them in my garden ( I always get rid of them) he had no affects at all. But its not something I would actually feed my tortoises.
Like most things, the odd bit now and again will not harm in general. But there are so many plants out there that can and will kill tortoises, so not worth taking the chance.
This male would also eat poppies (the big red ones) with no affect when he got into an area he was not supposed to be in. But I would not feed them to him.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote