Thread: Solar light
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2015, 05:39 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
Solar technology is changing all the time but I don't think it would be easy for a solar panel to generate enough power to run a heating appliance. I'm guessing that you want the heat when there isn't much light in the sky?

Solar powered lights generally work by expoiting LED technology which produces a lot of light from a small amount of power. And of course LED lights don't produce heat.

A solar panel can be used to store energy in a battery but there are two problems there. The first one is that storing energy in a battery is very wasteful. The second one is that batteries are generally 12 volt or less and it might be hard to find any worthwhile heating appliance that works off 12 volts. Heaters are likely to be 240 volt appliances requiring a minimum of 13 amps.
ooh ok ! crikey its complicated isn't it ! I liked the idea about the battery source storing energy to output as heat, but see that's fruitless. Arcadia might come up with something someday maybe ! isn't it funny that tortoises store heat like little radiators and then ooooze heat from their shells when the sun has gone down. maybe they can generate their very own solar system one day !!