View Single Post
Old 18-05-2018, 06:59 PM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjaffacake View Post
Hi I'm acquiring a tortoise from my neighbour she's had for 15 years. The tortoise is 50. She lets the tortoise roam in her conservatory in cold/bad weather and in the garden when it's nice. She's retired so she's always in. I work full time so I'm wondering where can I put her in the day? She said she'd like her to carry on living like she does. I asked her if I can leave her in the garden when I'm out but said noo. Someone else I spoke to who has a smaller, younger tortoise says his is in his garden all the time unless it's really cold. So what do I do? I'd like her to be able to roam in the garden but are there any predators I should be aware of? Cats/seagulls? My conservatory will be way too hot to leave her. When it gets cold she can go in the conservatory. I don't want to "downsize" her roaming area too much when I'm at work. Any advice please would really help. Thanks very much
As Jonathan has said provided the tortoise has some sort of housing to go into when its colder, they do fine. Mine have either a coldframe or GH to go into. These provide some heat even when unheated. As long as there is not a threat of frost and the garden is tortoise proof ( they can climb corners, and open fences. And can get through the smallest of gaps) then they do brilliantly. I have had my tortoises over 36yrs and are outside 24/7 with housing from May until late Autumn.
Cats are not a problem for tortoises, and magpies rarely go into my garden. And they rarely try to get to large tortoises.
Poisonous plants could be a problem though. Such as Poppies, anything from a bulb, Fox gloves to name a few:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote