View Single Post
Old 12-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #11
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupert View Post
A word of caution! My 7 yr. old used to hibernate in a washing-up bowl in a pit dug in the greenhouse (to keep the temperature down). It was covered with a polystyrene block. One weekend in the middle of winter after heavy rain I found the pit full of water. Luckily Pushkin was inside his floating bowl, which had even lifted the polystyrene a couple of inches. Noah's Ark springs to mind.

Please can you advise me. I thought adults Horsfields hibernate for 12 weeks max. He wants to hibernate now, but that would mean waking him in early January in the depths of winter. For that reason I struggle to keep him awake till late November. What is best?

Rupert, Essex

In the wild they hibernate up to six months:0)
Just because the 12 weeks may be up, if you monitor your tortoise closely, another few weeks will not hurt them. If you see a problem then just get them up. 12 weeks is a guide its not set in stone. I would not recommend every year longer than 12 weeks, but they don't hibernate for the same amount of time every year in the wild:0)
And the water table in any ones area is vital to know, especially with horsfields.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote