View Single Post
Old 15-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #17
sharon hamilton
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austen View Post
I put this thread in the 'introduction' bit - realised it should probably go here...

Please bear with me - my computer skills are rubbish!

Hi -

My grandma brought a tortoise for her son when he was a child (about forty years ago). He lost interest and he has lived with her although she knew nothing about tortoises. He's been living on a diet of lettuce and cucumber and hibernating every year.

We recently got him and I've done as much research as I can on the net...began to introduce dandelions into his diet which he loves and also other vegetables - however I feel so dense as I've never looked after reptiles (only rescued mammals -dogs and cats) and I feel that he's not got the best home. Our garden is concrete so he had no grass and I just feel he should be with people who know what they're doing.

I've been searching on the net for the best thing for him and this site is what I found. I would love him to have a home where he would have the right equipment and the expertise that might help him bounce back from forty years of a lettuce/cucumber diet - and if he's the kind of tortoise that would like it, company. (also - he doesn't drink water...I've put a dish for him and he doesn't drink it - but he does eat cucumber which is mostly water but I've been reading is addictive for tortoises...I feel very lost about his wellbeing!)

Anyway - I have no idea where he's from...and I've tried to email this website to ask about re homing - but the email address provided doesn't work...so I thought I try here.

Hope someone can give some advice - thanks in advance.

Have (tried to) insert a black and white image of him - if anyone can identify what kind of tortoise he is..?

I have kept tortoises for 20 years, I keep north african spur thigh and med spur thigh, I would be very happy to rehome your toroise
Sharon