View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #24
derrick0312
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita Sayles View Post
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...t=anita&page=4

When I had the heatmat in the tort table the above worked well. A thin piece of slate on top of the rubber. As heat rises it gave a nice warm area.
In the viv section I'm using now it was attached to the wall high up, now it's a bit colder I've found the heat wasn't getting down to the substrate level, but I was only using the tiny 4 inch heatmat - probably needed a bigger one. I already had the ceramic bulb... so decided to swap it over.
The viv section works ok I think as you are only trying to heat that small area for a warmer ambient. While it wouldn't be my choice to keep Marley in a viv all the time I'm quite happy that he can come and go as he pleases. He always sleeps in the viv under the slate. This morning I watched him, he woke up. Sat under the ceramic for about 20 minutes then wandered out onto the table had a bask under the main UVB then went off looking for his food
It's difficult if you are at work and the room is cold... you don't want to heat the whole room, but you have to make the table warm enough. There tends to be lot's of posts about heat/tables at this time of year.
Wow!! you are quite a inventor!! Did you go with plan A or plan B in the end? I might have to do the same in my case. So you are going to leave this 'device' under soil?

I have ordered a habistat heat mat 20W (17in x 11in). Need to figure out how it works and how best to set it up asap1