View Single Post
Old 20-10-2020, 06:41 PM   #1
TortoiseBea
Hatched

Send a message via Yahoo to TortoiseBea
Default Worn down patch on plastron - pics included

Hopefully the pictures work as I haven't posted in awhile.

Anyhow, my tortoise is 12 years old, lives outside in the summer, inside in a 4ft x 4ft tortoise table over the winter. Have had him since he was less than a year old. Had no issues thus far health wise.

I noticed this week on his plastron that its worn away on a tiny patch on both sides - was initially quite alarmed as it's translucent you can see what look like tiny blood vessels. Then I realised the fact it is symmetrical points to it being an abrasive injury rather than shell rot or the like. I then realised it fits with the shape of a rock he's been mounting recently.
You can see in the pics that on both sides of the plastron a very small patch has sort of worn away is the best way I can think it looks like. As I said, I think this correlates to the fact he's been mounting a rock in his enclosure for the last year or so, and the back and forth motion has probably caused this over time. I have now removed said rock, didn't realise it was causing harm. This is the only thing I can think that would cause this, being symmetrical and all.

So my questions are, does this theory seem reasonable? Is wearing away of plastron on rocks a thing?

Then secondly, aside from removing the rock so no further damage is caused, can I do anything about this? How will it heal?

Appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks!

https://imgur.com/a/G2fV98a
TortoiseBea is offline   Reply With Quote