View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Robert,

Welcome to Shelled Warriors.

Great advice so far, I have only ever kept med spur thighs, even as a youngster in the mid to late 70's, all of which never survived like so many others of their time, but I have had a creep (group) of Iberas for the past 5 years now and having great reward from them, their are 5 alltogether in this creep and all have little personalities.

Jennyjack (JJ) is the bossy aggressive one, bites your fingers if you put them near him and stomps to warn you off, and is a real gutsp pig when it comes to feeding.
Penny who is a clutch mate of JJ is a real sweetie, she is so gentle and is delicate in everything she does, she is perfectly smooth grown as if she is a real lady watching what she eats and how she looks.
Noname (NN) is another male not as aggressive but tries his best to be bossy stomping around when JJ tries to warn me off.
Buttons is a hardier female, she takes no crap off JJ or NN if she wants a leaf or a place in the group pile she does her utmost best to keep it.
Gem is the baby of the group who was not well early in her life with a nasty eye infection but she has bounced back and is now doing really well, but she is a slow grower like Penny and as such has remained a real little cutie, but she holds her own with the lads in the group too.

I feed and keep my tortoises in the more traditional manner, feeding weeds flowers with very occassional salad leaves especially when weeds are in abundance.

They go outdoors as often as possible when weather and circumstances permit, indoors they have a tortoise table and combined heat and UV lamp.

I hope this helps.

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote