View Single Post
Old 23-03-2019, 03:15 PM   #8
Yvonne G
Hatched

Default none

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
yes mine are all up and even tempted to leave outside over night as temps are around 10 to 12 here.

I love reading Yvonne and Alan as two extremes. I am not keen on this in between times as never too sure to leave them to it or keep them indoors and heat up - my girlie Horsfields stay out unheated greenhouse and would hate it if they were in tables, they never have been ,CB
In the fall I gather up my Russians (1.3) and place them in a cinderblock "house" full of dried leaves. They brumate in there - dry and safe from freezing. Last week I propped open the lid and saw all of them on top of the leaves. It really hasn't been all that warm here, but I guess it's warm enough for them, because when I put some food down they ate it.

Next I'll gather them up and soak them for a half hour or so, then put them back out into their yard. I'm in no hurry to do this because we're still getting rainy days. Their yard is so overgrown that once I put them back in there I'll not be able to find them for a month or so until the weeds have been trampled down or eaten.

The box turtles brumate in their yards, so when the spirit moves them they just come out and start their lives again all on their own. My box turtle yards are built on a slight slope and I've made sure they all brumate on the high end of the slope. There are three-toe, luteola (western ornate), ornate, florida, eastern and gulf coast. I'd love to post pictures of my turtle yards, but I'm not allowed attachments and I don't use photo hosting.