View Single Post
Old 13-12-2020, 12:34 PM   #9
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve56616 View Post
Just an update really and a little advice please. Two babies are doing really well. Growing quite quickly. My worry is they might be growing too quickly as dont want them to get bumpy shells.
Also I would like to hibernate them for a few weeks as I prefer them to be more natural and really don't like having them under lights all the time. I know I have to while they are so young but prefer them back outside when the summer comes. Please can anyone tell me the best way to do this and slowly get them down to hibernation point as its hard inside with heating ect. Shall i put them into a cooler room to wind down? Only want 6 - 8 weeks sleep but feel that would be good for them.
Eight weeks should be a minimum:0)
You need somewhere where temps will not drop below 5c. I used to hibernate my hatchlings (boxed up) in our garage, which is attached to the house. I had a heater in there to come on if temps dropped below 5c, and a thermometer in the box so I could monitor them all the time:0)
Windown would be a little shorter than large tortoises, I used to do three week windown. :0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote