View Single Post
Old 27-01-2019, 06:34 PM   #144
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
I read it last week. It was so well-written by the author and she clearly portrayed him accurately and got to know him very well whilst he told her his story.
I see she is going to write about one of the other people in the book, Cilke, who also had to do and say things to stay alive in there.

I think what struck me was that many who were forced to do things for the SS - and lets face it, they had no choice - were later charged with being conspirators and sent to prison after the war.
I found it to be a book about endurance and focused on that element rather than the horrors of what the tattooist (Lale) had to do and what he witnessed. I found him to be a man of incredible strength mentally and he did whatever he could for others in there, not just for staying alive himself. He was a resourceful man and he deserved to survive to tell his story, which gives another perspective of the Holocaust from a primary source and in his case, someone who could have been shunned by society for what he did - as the title of the book tells us.

Anyway, how are you getting on Gordon? Hope you’ve been able to continue keeping the nausea at bay.
I don't read many books but that one will stay in my mind forever.

I'm doing OK Emma
I have seen the surgeon and he examined me and looked at the scan and just said yep needs to come out.
He has refured me to John Radcliffe hospital in Oxford to be seen ASAP so fingers crossed.
On the bright side the non hibernating torts are getting more atention than normal.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote