View Single Post
Old 18-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #29
Steph37
Hatched

I'm really happy with (and quite proud!) of my hatchlings cos they are beatiful specimins-the 18 month old bred by my mum by a younger female (6 years I think) weighs nearly 300gm, and despite having 4 females and a number of Hermanns hatchlings together, the ones from the same mother this year are significantly bigger again. We thought 2 years ago that maybe she was big because she didnt have to 'compete' for food but obviously thats not it-must be genetic.
I'm fine with their weights as its spot on with the SCL length which, as people have said, is all that matters with reptiles-sounds silly, I just wanted them to be small for a bit longer!! They look like 4 year olds that I've seen from people at the BCG!
I had read/heard with hatchlings that ideally 3gm a month is 'right'.

Having said that, the biggest female has had the smallest hatchlings and one who is not the nicest looking specimin has produced the 'prettiest' hatchlings (eg the mother has a small head, the hatchlings have big heads with really big eyes and are particualrly responsive when their mother is very shy and likes to keep away from the rest of the creep. Is that the right word? I've forgotten)
If photobucket was easier I would upload photos as they are so lovely! (sisters to Touies babies!)
Steph37 is offline   Reply With Quote