View Single Post
Old 16-06-2018, 09:55 AM   #4
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve56616 View Post
She has use of the whole garden, Lawn, gravel area and flower borders. If she laid in the garden I probably wouldn't find them, which is why I set up this box with soil. Also, I thought it would warm up with the sun and be more appealing to her. She is sniffing the ground as well. Is this a sign that laying is close?
If you want her to lay in the box (I have never had success this way) then it needs to be deeper. Her legs need to dig down beyond the length of her legs, and not touch the bottom.
Each tortoise has their own sort of laying area, I have two female iberas that will only lay eggs in my lawn, and at the edges where near concrete slabs or stone. Makes life easier as you can see where they lay:0) The other two, one will lay in the GH soil, and they other has no real area, just lays where she wants too. One even tried to dig on concrete, obviously it didnt work:0)
Watching where your tortoise is test nesting will give you a good idea where she will lay. I have grass disturbance marks all over my lawn, but they generally lay where they first started to try and dig.
If you dont dig over borders, you do have more of a chance of finding eggs:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote