View Single Post
Old 27-01-2019, 02:38 PM   #143
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Im not sure if I can say anything as I'm in shock as to how awful his life was. What he saw and had to do just to stay alive.

A must read.
I read it last week. It was so well-written by the author and she clearly portrayed him accurately and got to know him very well whilst he told her his story.
I see she is going to write about one of the other people in the book, Cilke, who also had to do and say things to stay alive in there.

I think what struck me was that many who were forced to do things for the SS - and lets face it, they had no choice - were later charged with being conspirators and sent to prison after the war.
I found it to be a book about endurance and focused on that element rather than the horrors of what the tattooist (Lale) had to do and what he witnessed. I found him to be a man of incredible strength mentally and he did whatever he could for others in there, not just for staying alive himself. He was a resourceful man and he deserved to survive to tell his story, which gives another perspective of the Holocaust from a primary source and in his case, someone who could have been shunned by society for what he did - as the title of the book tells us.

Anyway, how are you getting on Gordon? Hope you’ve been able to continue keeping the nausea at bay.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote