Thread: Surgery
View Single Post
Old 15-02-2020, 10:00 AM   #599
emma_mcraf
Adult

This is appalling, Gordon. No, you are not overreacting in the slightest. This is all just a huge balls-up from beginning to end. There’s definitely a lack of communication going on and you are just the poor victim in it.
I have never heard of ESBL so googled it, which I’m sure you’ve done already but the public health leaflet was really informative and I think they should provide infected patients with these leaflets in hospital. Here it is if it hasn’t come up on your search:
https://www.publichealth.hscni.net/s...flet_04_16.pdf

It’s says you’re susceptible due to having surgery and drains, etc. Plus some antibiotics do not work against it as the bug can break them down. So I think you’re within your rights to demand to see your consultant and for him to answer all your questions and if you’re on the right meds for it or not! Also you can tell him about the nurse who didn’t wash her hands before or after seeing you and went back to the nurses desk. How can patients be safe in hospitals if the nurses don’t even use the correct precautions and procedures to prevent infections being spread?!

Please try not to panic. I don’t think it is worse than MRSA, just needs different handling with the antibiotics.
Do not let them break you. Arm yourself with as much information as you can so you write down a list of questions and make sure they are answered thoroughly.
Or you can read and ignore me as usual!

But being serious, remember that none of this is your fault. It has been a catastrophe of errors every single time you’ve been in any of the hospitals and you are the victim in this. I really would contact PALS so they can do an internal investigation and support you. When I used them once they were very efficient and got things sorted quickly. But you might just not want the hassle of it. Then again, if you don’t speak out, will it keep occurring and will other patients also be given incorrect information?

You have to look after your head in this as it is so important and I do speak with some experience on that one. It’s probably totally impossible to relax in hospital but you need to look after yourself any way you can and get on here and talk to us when you need to. We are all sympathetic, empathetic and really sorry for the situation you’re in. You’re our mate and we’ll all offer support, as much as a few words can help.
I am sure your family are as angry and bewildered as you too, so all look after one another and you will get through this bloody awful situation.
Take care. xxx

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote