View Single Post
Old 25-05-2018, 11:27 AM   #3
sandy
Adult

I agree with Gordon, horsfields can stand very low temperatures, much lower than med torts. Meds are fine for temps down to around 5c then they would tend to go into hibernation mode:0) They need no extra heat when outside from around May until the threat of frost in the Autumn.
I keep ibera and they are outside 24/7 with no extra heat from April until the threat of frost ( I live in the SE so temps are a little higher than most areas). And I have done for the last 36yrs.
As long as they have housing they will be fine. If you can regulate the heat on a timer, you could have it on for a couple of hours in the morning (so you can feel happier:0) ) so he warms up thats fine, provided you switch it off again:0)
Once you realise they can survive on much lower temps you can turn off all heat through the Summer months. If we have a cold spell of a week, just turn it back on again for a few hours. Its all common sense really, if you think of the wild, they get up bask and warm through, then they eat, then bask again. Midday they tend to hide then come out again later on in the afternoon when temps drop a little:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote