View Single Post
Old 20-05-2018, 09:43 PM   #1
Sioblarghn
Egg

Default Overnight heating for outdoor enclosure

I have a Horsfield who is around 10 years old. He’s always been brought in overnight, had a basking lamp on in the morning before being taken to his outdoor run. This has been the setup pending getting electrics outside, which we’ve now finally done.

We’ve got a small rabbit hutch, and I’ve insulated the sleeping area with foam boards and reflective bubble wrap and have fitted a 50w Komodo moonlight bulb inside. The guy at the reptile supplies shop advised I’d not need a thermostat as the bulb wouldn’t give out enough heat to warrant it.

The problem is, inside his sleeping area is TOO warm! The air temp outside is supposed to drop to about 10 degrees Celsius outside, so should the insulated sleeping area be enough to keep him warm enough overnight? I’m thinking I may need to take out the sleeping area partition to open up the space a little.

My other question, I’m wanting to put a basking light in for cooler days, can I use a standard light bulb which is on a timer to come on along with the ceramic heat night bulb? Or would I need another heat emitting daytime basking bulb? He’ll have access to his run to access natural daylight/shaded areas as he pleases but as the hutch has a roof I’m worried he’ll not realise it’s daytime.
Sioblarghn is offline   Reply With Quote