View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 08:05 AM   #8
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
Do you intend buying from a local breeder or a pet shop or a website?

if buying from a shop or website they will say 'captive bred' but 99.9% of them will come from slovenia or macedonia so although captive bred, they are not UK captive bred obviously and have been bred on tort farms. Some people even believe they are wild caught but that's another story.

Ones bought from a UK breeder will be sold as UKCB (UK Captive Bred).

People will tell you that UKCB is best but at the end of the day it is your choice. Hermanni Hermanni or Dwarf Hermanns as some people call them are hard to come by as Petrus has said. A UK breeder on here was advertising them in the for sale section. Because of being hard to come by they are more expensive. Pet shops will sometimes sell Hermanni Hermanni but I believe that they are mostly unaware what they are selling and often sell TH Hercegovensis (dalmation tortoise) as Dwarf Hermanns
Good points, Alan. There is one pet centre that operates online and they sell "Dwarf Hermanns" from Turkey!!!! Some people think these are half breeds.

I have two Slovenian Hermanni Boettgeri. They are nice tortoises now, but one came to me with RNS. They were very shy and hissd a lot - completely different to my 2 Iberas, which are UK Captive Bred.

I'd strongly urge you to buy a UK Captive Bred tortoise from a breeder. Where in the country are you?
Petrus is offline   Reply With Quote