View Single Post
Old 20-05-2015, 03:03 AM   #18
Daryn
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkie View Post
Hello Sandy.

It is a good solution that the TT have come up with in the link I posted.
Having flexability in the design is key so you can add and remove shade and ventilation elements. One of my initial experiments in this kind of setup hit 47C air temperature in direct sunlight in March so needed some adaptation but the methods in the article are very sound.

I've "accidently" (couldnt find them in the autumn) hibernated tortoises outdoors in this kind of "giant coldframe" set up. Deep, deep substrate areas are needed so they can burrow and thermoregulate themselves.
In my own set up if it gets too hot I just open the large lid, its the full size of the enclosure although my tortes can walk out of the enclosure into the garden.

I always hibernate my two tortes in this coldframe every year. I can show a link if needed but basically I have a small double insulated den within the coldframe, the tube heater/themostat is set for 5c at all times in the den, it works great but you have to watch the long term weather forecast, I keep them active and feeding as long as I can and try to put them down in December, if the temps get too low the thermostat kicks in and keeps the den at 5c it works really well.

I never need to bring my tortes in the house

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com

Last edited by Daryn; 21-05-2015 at 01:31 PM.
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote