Thread: Heat Bulbs
View Single Post
Old 22-12-2013, 11:12 PM   #27
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

After looking at a few halogen lamps around the internet, it looks like the actual bulb in the 'strip light unit' Morpheous found is basically the same as that in the outdoor flood lamp. But the effect is very different and the floodlight is directing the light out through the glass on the front.

I'm guessing that in an indoors set-up, Ross's 120 watt halogens are perhaps reduced to half power with the dimming stat if they are mounted at 12". But the result must be far better than a 'normal' 60 watt halogen running flat out, because the footprint of the light and heat is so much larger than something like a 30 degree halogen spot.

I plan to have a go with an 'outdoor' halogen (indoors) at about 18" or more, which would make a bigger footprint of heat with the lamp working a bit harder than it would at 12".

Another thought is to use a stat like the microclimate Prime, which allows the setting of different temperatures through the day and in this case would mean the 'volume' gets turned up for a while in the middle of the day and turned down later on.

Something I can tinker about with over xmas