Thread: Chicken Hug
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2015, 08:08 PM   #9
emma_mcraf
Adult

They are real characters and great to watch as they go about their daily business; scratching about, sunbathing, dustbathing and telling off the seagulls. I love hearing them clucking away to one another. The primary reason I went for chickens was for their eggs. I bake a lot and it greatly appealed to have fresh eggs laid daily in the garden. We're now in our fourth summer of having them and they are laying every day. As Wendy says, they can slow down through the winter or when in moult, but otherwise are pretty reliable.
We have had neighbours who treated their hens purely as livestock and when they went off lay the hens were necked and then eaten. I can't understand why they gave their chickens names, but they did.
Ours are definitely part of our pet family and although initially bought for their eggs, they'll get to live out their retirement here, even when no longer laying.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote