View Single Post
Old 25-05-2019, 10:13 AM   #507
CherryBrandy
Adult

Morning Tank, I remember your set up before. looked really good. clever concept putting two together. Having kept Horsfields for well over 25 years and spurs prior to that I would say that substrate will cause problems. It would save you money also it you didn't buy more. Reason being is that he will at some point eat it. Naturally consumed if not intentional. It can't be helped and if he had weed, pooped or it is damp (from under a water bowl for instance) there will be organisms and they will fester inside and the absorbency of the substrate will clean out his insides. If he doesn't eat it it will produce spores which won't be seen by your eye....bit like paper mites are there even if you don't read books. Personally I would try and find something natural - tortoises can't go wrong with natural. I have same problem with soil. I do still use coco soil and dampen it down. But shingle could be used. different substrates to give him a different feel. One thing about Horsfields as you probably know is they need stimulation, lots of places to hide, dig so if its not soil or natural then hidey holes - big climb overs - make him bear grylis of the tortoise world. It's a fantastic model of a set up though. Please do consider two water bowls. Some of my tortoises I have never seen drink in 25 years but they must do otherwise they wouldn't be here - others will dip there heads under for 3 minutes odd. Others sit in them. Tortoises would never set up house without a water source nearby and if he has to wait for his water that can make them a little pacey and anxious and they can clam up with their poops. Good to see the set....little tunnel into the garden next I suspect ! lucky chap CB