View Single Post
Old 07-07-2018, 05:26 PM   #3
tortydat
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprakey34 View Post
Hi, I had one hermann partially hatch before it died a couple of days ago. While it was hatching, i though it had a deformed front leg and started thinking ahead. I had 5 eggs laid but looks like this one was the only one fertilized and I had homes for them all. If this little one had survived and was deformed I would have kept it. However, indoor space is short- already have an indian star which lives indoors. Here is my question- the pathogens that different species carry that could harm others - are tortoises born with these pathogens or would they pick them up in the wild? The reason I ask was could I have safely kept the baby hermann in with the indian star ( only 4inches) until big enough to go out with parents who live outdoors all year. I keep strict hygeine rules when It come to handling between the two species so the star has not had contact with anything since I got him as a 4 week old and the hatchling wouldn't have had contact with anything else.
many thanks
Meriel
Personally I don't think it would be advisable at all as Indian Stars need a much higher temperature than Hermanns without going into the transfer of bugs thing also the size difference wouldn't be a good idea either IMO.
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote