View Single Post
Old 03-06-2020, 07:40 AM   #4
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by GemJam View Post
Hi everyone, I hope you are all well.

I have a 6 year old Hermanns who I've had since a baby. I've always kept her inside during the colder months and hibernated in a fridge, but she is outside (day and night) when it is lovely and warm. The outside enclosure is 9ft square with access to a portion of my greenhouse, with a thermostat and heat lamp.

This year I would like to keep her outside 365 days 24/7. What are your top tips to make this transition (for me and my tort, Hettie)?

I have a deep container that I was thinking I could fill with soil and set my thermostat to a lower temp for hibernation. Would this be sufficient? What temp should I set the lamp to? Is there a better alternative than this solution?

What is best for the colder months when she is still awake?

Thanks, Gemma
The tub of soil in the greenhouse is what I use. I surround it with insulation after they have gone down. I have better pictures somewhere other than what's in this thread but it still shows the tub of topsoil and some of the insulation if you click on the links to the images http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=74734 I will have a look for other photos
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote