View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 08:12 PM   #27
Hilary
Incubating

Found out why they call it Many Tears.

We had a look on the site & saw all the cute dogs, and lots with all sorts of disabilities & problems.
We already have a little dog who is very timid but very lazy & doesnt like to go out for walks. So we thought if we got her a little friend it would help her to learn how to be a dog & perhaps encourage her to go walkies a bit. At he same time we could offer a home to one of the smaller, less dominant looking orphans on the website.
I wasn't put off by a dog that wasnt in the full flush of youth, bouncing with health, or even if it had a disability (as I am a silghtly differently-abled myself), and my husband who has no mobility problems does most of the walkies stuff.

So we filled in a form for a lovely little blind lad with only one eye (on the site as 'Tea'), scrubbed the house and worried for days that the home visit would find us 'unsuitable' for some reason (dont know why - just paranoia really).
Then home visit over, we we're deemed ok, address and time arranged to meet the little one and bring him home, new doggy bed bought & cupboard full of his favourite munchies (which ours wouldn't touch with a barge pole - not nearly posh enough for her delicate tastes).
Then we got the message that the foster mum has changed her mind and decided to keep him. Didnt even ring to tell us herself - the message came in by proxy from another person - she isnt answering her 'phone.

Only good thing is we didnt do the 120 mile round trip over to collect him and find out then.

Of course, apparently, now we are 'vetted' we could pick another dog, but we dont know if we want to go through all that again.
I know it must be hard for a fosterer to give up a little charge they have cared for over a few weeks, but if they keep them all and turn down the homes that are offered, eventually they will be having to let other dogs die as they won't have room. Also, it means really that any donations are not going toward saving resue dogs, but for the medical costs of their 'own' dogs.

Very p***ed off.
Now I'm going to have to comfort eat all night.
Whoever started this thread - you are to blame for the next stone & a half that I put on tonight!
Hilary is offline   Reply With Quote