View Single Post
Old 23-02-2019, 10:20 AM   #21
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan1 View Post
We've had pretty mild temperatures for over a week now, 12c yesterday and 14c forecast today but much warmer in the greenhouse of course if the sun is out. I had a look a while back in the tub of soil and they have moved from the spots where they buried down originally. I can see the top of the shell of one of them but I'm letting them just come out themselves. With the insulation round the tub of soil, any change in temps is very gradual so although it can get very warm in the greenhouse there's not much of a change in the tub.
The fact the they move around in there during hibernation would always make me wary about the fridge method. Do they need to move around to keep their joints from seizing up or what?
Tshirt weather again ! surprised to see the weather in Scotland is around 18 in some parts ! that's amazing and how lovely. Yes I worry about their legs etc if it were fridge and too closed boxes. I have a big tortoise who has a swollen leg (prior to arriving) and I make sure he moves it throughout hibernation in case it gets 'sat on'. I supposed their regulating works so different to our blood stream etc. I always thought for instance if a crocodile loses its leg it heals up, seals up, not massive blood loss etc.

(Yvonne not ignoring you but I could go 50 / 50 on your suggestion so thought best left to someone who knows as it wouldn't help ! ),