View Single Post
Old 07-12-2017, 09:07 AM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypoo85 View Post
Hello I am looking for some help and advice on hibernating my horsefield Winston. He is around 3 years old and I am yet to hibinate him. I have owned him for two years now.

He is starting to eat less and be a little less active over the last few weeks. So I am guessing this means he is wanting to hibinate. I have looked into and done a lot of reasrech with mixed messages.

Firstly it is my understanding the ratio scale does not apply to this type of tortoise. Is this correct?

I have also read that we should start with holding food for a 2 week period to insure an empty gut. But bath daily for a full bladder. Is this correct? Winston tends to wee after his baths so this is a worry for me.

How long will I need to hibinate him for?

I am just so worried about doing it and doing something wrong! It would be great if you could give me some tips and advice

Also what would happen if he didn't hibinate?

Thanks in advance x
Horsfields are no different to hibernate than any other med or hibernating species. Except they do tend to decide its time to do so a lot earlier than meds. They react to temps a lot faster.
The thing about not hibernating is horsfields get much larger quicker, because in the wild they only are active for around 3-6 months. The rest of the time they are in hibernation. So they put on far too much weight if kept up.
Age has nothing to do with hibernation, but size can. I would suggest a three week wind down.
First week normal temps and UV with bathing NO FOOD
Week two reduce the temps and UV by something like an hour each end of the day. NO FOOD but bathe.
Third week keep reducing the day until they are not active.
Then hibernate, keeping a close eye on them after the first week. It can take a week for them once in hibernation to really settle down.
All this should be done in a coldish area, as outside temps can/will affect wind down.
The first time is always scary, but a lot easier the second:0)
Even experienced keepers stress:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote