Thread: food ideas
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2016, 11:48 PM   #5
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Hi. The Tortoise Table website is really good. If you have a garden, outside space or even a window box there are many things you can plant but they do take time to grow. I'm not good with seeds so what I do is to buy very small plants from Naturescape and grow them on in the garden.
Some that do well for me and can be bought from Naturescape include Cat's Ear, Hawkbit, Hawkweed and Yellow Welsh Poppy.

It has taken me years to do it but I've now got thriving clumps of plants that are good for tortoises and a lot of them started off as a few small plants from Naturescape.

Another idea is to dig up suitable weeds from other peoples gardens or waste ground etc and plant them in your garden. Not rare wildflowers obviously but things like Plantain that people usually don't want.

And don't forget about dandellions!

Salad bags are not great really but if that's what you need to use at the moment try to vary it but avoid spinach. Rocket is ok, also watercress.

If possible learn to recognise suitable weeds and find local places where they grow. Just watch out for weedkiller.

Good luck with it and try not to rely on shop foods.