View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi there and welcome to the forum

Firstly, it may be an idea to have a look at the diet section of the forum. I'm afraid to say that what you have been feeding your torts on isn't the best diet, although i'm not sure what ruccula and rapido is, brassicas are high in oxylates and not too good for torty.

If weeds are scarce then mixed bagged salad can be fed, some feed pellets especially to suppliment over the harsh months of winter.

As a substrate I prefer to use a mix of sand and soil, 30% sand mixed well with 70% soil. You say you use chipped wood, ummm I'm not sure exactly what you are using but it doesn't sound like it's a good idea for torty to be eating it. Too much sand can cause impaction.

I've not used the lamp in your link so wouldn't be able to comment. What temperatures are you getting under the lamp?

Torts can hibernate from a very young age, but it is up to you whether you feel confident enough to do it. It is always a cause of great debate, so again, lots of research so you can make an informed decision.

It's excellent that you get your torts outside in the summer, i truely believe that torts should be able to go outside whenever possible.

So sorry if this posts sounds a bit negative, I genuinely want the best for your tortoises too...please, any further questions then please please ask