View Single Post
Old 19-08-2018, 11:22 AM   #12
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by TessaRuth View Post
Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply with such useful information. Very much appreciated. Quite clearly, 'knowing your tortoise' is the key thing and that's the bit I'm uncertain on at the moment. One more question, if you don't mind. I live in southern England. I've noticed that my tortoise seems to have become a bit more sleepy. We've only had him for two weeks but when he arrived, he would stay up until about 1930 but now beds down at about 1600 even though heat and UV lamps are still on. I've done a bit of reading and this suggests that 'in late summer/early Autumn, you will notice your tortoise becoming more sleepy in preparation for hibernation.' Is this likely what he's doing, do you think? Otherwise, when he is awake, he is active and likes a run round the garden. Thank you so much again.
I would say it possibly is but there is also a possibility that it is getting away from the heat, that will depend on if your temperatures at the hot end and cool end are okay. We've had a great summer here and mine have been going into their shelters (which are roof ridge tiles) or under the bushes in the hottest parts of the day. They are not actually sleeping they are only keeping out the heat.
BTW, when you get to 5 posts posted your posts are no longer moderated so just 2 more
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote