View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 10:58 AM   #20
Rhiannon
Egg

Ages ago i read an article in the BCG journal Testudo, if memory serves me correctly they said it was due to over feeding or maybe too much protien causeing a buildup of keratin? Probably talking out my cloaca , but for what its worth all my young Tortoises about 20 years back had it to some extent, ive noticed females often arnt that smooth in wild caught specimens or maybe its a secondary sex characteristic?

My babies had a vitamin mineral suppliment and were fed on lettice tomatoes etc and of course i know now thats wrong , but info at the time was sparce, they lived in an old fish tank which again is wrong , best they had for UV was a growlux bulb and a incandescent bulb for light and heat ..its amazing they ever lived TBH .

This time i want to do it better and right as the knowledge is out there, well here actualy.Thanks to all of you. I dont get the humidity thing , mine were not in high humidity.

Maybe i should have read the article first..i see where the guy is comming from....Hmmmm as i read it havign a damp high humidity night time bed does the trick and dry outside enviroment? Hmmm might give that a go, mine were not bad but certainly not normal..

Last edited by Rhiannon; 09-07-2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: opened mouth before brain in gear
Rhiannon is offline   Reply With Quote