View Single Post
Old 08-11-2015, 08:54 AM   #14
Pussygalore
Adult

I used to hibernate my adult Ibera simply because they'd always done so before coming to me and it would have been very hard if not impossible to keep them up. They would stop eating, slow down at the same time each year without any help/choice from me however if you have a tort from the start and choose not to then I think its possible as I think without a hibernation the instinct to do so doesn't kick in if the environment is right for non hibernation. Whether its right or wrong is not for me to say and as long as the owner knows what they are doing and the animal comes to no harm then it can be the owners choice, and to be honest unless you follow a good hibernation guide both before and during then in some cases it can be safer not to. Many still just assume they can leave the tort unchecked for the duration, not know if the tort is healthy enough, don't do a proper wind down or know the correct temps in a fridge and check them everyday and those are the torts that maynot survive. So yes I believe in hibernation and would always suggest doing it but in some cases its better not to.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote