View Single Post
Old 12-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #15
Kirkie
Adult

Yeah, mine arent as neat and tidy as the TT ones. I've been thinking about this over the last few years and I'm prepared to forego a few dorment days when the temperatures just dont get high enough over time indoors.

The panels in that article dont seem to seal the area, I've found enclosed areas with sides, cutting down air flow and wind chill factor to be the thing for the spring and autumn. In summer you can whip the roof off and use mesh in its place, meaning you dont have to seal off areas due to high temperatures.

My first attempt at this was my giant coldframe idea which was 4 8ft railway sleepers covered by a layer of mesh with 4 8x2 ft twin wall polycarb sheets over the top. 2or 3 of these are taken off during the day and replaced at night.
Cooler days, all 4 stay on. Having flexability in the design means I can regulate the temperatures pretty well and , as in my earlier post, have hibernated tortoises in situ in there.

Frames of UVB allowing poly sheet would be great over a setup like that. Probably not as insulating as the polycarb but great for extending spring and autumn.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote