Thread: What lamp
View Single Post
Old 19-08-2015, 11:36 AM   #7
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Just my opinion but I think the price of the zoo med and arcadia adjustable stands are far too high. I've made stands from scrap wood that do the job just as well. With a home-made stand a simple piece of chain can be used to dangle the lamp from, and the height of it varied easily by using very cheap hooks.

Even easier, just dangle the lamp by the cable and fix the height by fixing the cable to the stand at the right place. Concerned that the cable wasn't intended to support the weight? OK, use a chain alongside your cable. Combined lamps and halogens all have their own reflectors in them already.

I've not seen the arcadia stand but the zoomed one is made of poor quality materials and I've twice broken the cheap metal fixings simply by tightening them too much.

The arcadia stand looks better quality but purchasing it adds a huge amount to the cost of setting up the UV flood. The ardadia UV flood with it's shade is incredibly light and once it's set up there will normally be very little adjusting to do.