View Single Post
Old 15-11-2008, 08:47 PM   #12
Kirkie
Adult

I'd agree with EJ that this is a cultural matter, what I disagree with is Tesco's profit whatever the cost mentality. They are the organisation imposing themselves on another country, they have tapped into a huge international markets on such a scale that they are in the position to control consumer forces. Yet they choose not back out of the turtle market. Why, out of respect for that culture? For not wanting to point the finger and say "thats wrong"? No, to make money.

We find it alarming because we are familiar with the creatures involved and it seems alien to us. If Tesco's were to show some balls and stop this practise it would'nt go away it would just become invisible to us again because a British brand is no longer behind it.

However the globalisation of brands such as Tesco's may in a strange way improve the plight of the turtle. Tesco's are dependant on bulk supplies, they don't concern themselves with local producers (despite their claims) so how long before the "MacDonalds" effect kicks in and everyone in China is eating a westernised diet because Tesco's can ship this in in bulk and sell it dirt cheap.

If you want to discuss Tesco's at a humanitarian level I suggest people look at the fire they are under in Eastern Europe for below minimum wage payments to staff, or South Africa where they are again accused of blatently ripping off farmers financially and accused of allowing farm workers to be exposed to potentially dangerous pesticides in search of the "perfect apple". Or Bangaladesh where they continue to be involved in "sweat shop labour" despite promises to investigate ways of improving working and living standards for those involved in the production of clothing for the Tesco's brand.

Or even to the USA where they are under fire for disregarding union's and accused of all manners of environmental violations.

The Chairman of Tesco's ha gone on record as saying the sale of turtles would be stopped if their was sufficient scientific evidence to show that the practise was having a substantial impact on the wild population. These now seem like hollow words if indeed, the "produce" is farmed
All I can say is sign the petition on Geomyda's post at http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=21483
If there's one thing big business don't like is that their customers have an opinion and can think for themselves

Last edited by Kirkie; 15-11-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote