View Single Post
Old 04-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
nooddle
Juvenile

I have a 2 year old horsefield and when indoors she is kept in a tortoise table. Mine is 4.5 foot x 2.5 foot- but the size you need depends on the size of the tortoise you are wanting to get. For a substrate I use top soil from b&q as horsfields love to dig around in it and I have found it to be the best option.

You need to provide heat and UVB. This can either be achieved by using a combined bulb- like this one I use arcadia 160. This provides both heat and UV. Or you can use a UVB tube and a normal basking lamp. You want a good temperature gradient going from around 20 degrees celsius to 34-36 in the hottest area (or the basking spot). To monitor this you will need a reliable digital thermometer. Now it is a bit colder I also have a ceramic heat emitter on a thermostat to ensure the night time temps don't drop too low.

A large shallow water bowl should be in there too so they can soak or have a drink when they want. And its a good idea to use a piece of slate or something similar to feed your tortoise n to prevent them ingesting substrate. Also having cuttlefish bone in there is a good idea as they can get added calcium from it when they want and it will help keep their beaks down.

Tiny A'Tuin by nnaaddiinnee89, on Flickr

Last edited by nooddle; 04-01-2012 at 01:35 PM.
nooddle is offline   Reply With Quote