Thread: Aestivation
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 03:00 PM   #2
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze65 View Post
So I think my torts are now technically almost , if not, are aestivating. They have never experienced such a prolonged period of such high temps, except Sammy and Jemima (1976) but I’m sure they don’t remember that! I put them out by about 7am , they eat , then head for their boxes , by 9 am at the latest , then there’s no activity until about 6 or even 7 pm when they eat again, occasionally some have wanted some food around 5ish, but they not eating much either. Quite honestly I’m tempted to aestivate too ! And it’s set to go on for a few more weeks, 29c today, and melting .
Mine have slowed up outside, but they usually take themselves off mid-morning to late- afternoon anyway. I find by 5-6pm they're back mooching about a little again. Food is still being consumed as much as always! So far, I'm still self-sufficient from the garden and haven't needed to go on a weed walk, but I have resorted to adding romaine this week for extra hydration for them.

It is stuffy, that's for sure. Not much of a breeze here, which makes it uncomfortable. I'm trying not to complain as we're having a summer and last year's was rubbish. I've never known them have so many consecutive days of dry, sunny weather, so it's great for the torts, but the rest of us are sticking to the shade or lying in the hammock and I'm not even walking Chester as it's too hot for him and the paths too warm for his little paws. Since hearing about the dog dying of sunstroke on a 9am walk, Chester only gets a walk early morning (6 am) or late evening.

We're just waiting for the hosepipe ban announcement, especially as our water board supplies so many tourists and is the most expensive in the country. Then it'll be a relay team to water all the baskets and pots and flower borders with watering cans each day!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote